Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Golfnow.com

Over the last three years, I have used several different tee time websites and have learned that only a few will do what I need them to do. Golfnow.com continues to show me why they want my business.  This website now owned by the Golf Channel continues to improve the product while offering what everyone wants out there, tee time discounts while making the experience an easy one.

This past weekend a friend of mine and I decided that we wanted to play early on Sunday morning.  It was Labor day weekend and every golfer deserves to play at least one time over the weekend. The decision was made that we wanted to play around 7:00 a.m. in hopes of having the rest of the day to play. It was Saturday afternoon when the decision was made so this would make it more difficult. 

I went on ezlinks.com and could not find a tee time that met our expectations.  After realizing that ezlinks.com could not meet my needs I then went to my trustworthy golfnow.com and was quite pleased to find that there were a few courses to choose from. The course that we chose was Pheasant Run in St. Charles, IL (I won't speak on Pheasant Run just yet as that is for another day) and our tee time was at 6:56 a.m.  Yes, folks it was that early and honestly I wasn't thinking too much at that time. I just agreed with Chris that getting done early would give us time with our loved ones for the remainder of the day. 

What I love about the site is a 75 year old that has never used a computer could probably figure out their website.  You point, click, and pick.  For instance I just visited the site to look for courses for a round of golf this friday.  I will not be playing however, there is always that glimmer of hope that a customer will ask me to take them to play golf and being that nice sales rep that I am, well you get the deal. So I visit golfnow.com to find out what is available on friday for me to play here are a few courses that I found for this friday;

White Tail Ridge: 7:06 a.m. for 39.00 a 17% savings
Fox Run 7:20 a.m. for 35.00 a 32% savings
Eagle Ridge "The General" 8:10 a.m. for $100.00 a 35% savings

Now "The General" is in Galena however, this course is a treat and worth the drive.

So what are the downfalls of pre-buying your tee times?

1. The reservation is non-refundable however, some of the golf courses allow you to pay on site and if a reservation needs to be cancelled you can talk to the golf course. 

2. If it rains you do have to seek approval from the golf course.  After the golf course determines that lightning may strike you or the course is just flooded, you will be refunded your money.

3. You can't always find the course that you want to play for cheap. Golfnow.com is constantly adding courses and why not suggest to you golf pro about getting on the site.  I have mentioned to other courses, and if they don't they don't, if they do then great I get my discount and the luxury of playing their course cheaper the next time.

4. The time that you would like to play is not always there. 

5. Your locked in and can not change your time or your course. 

Here are some of the positive aspects of purchasing your tee time online at golfnow.com

1. CHEAPER PRICE

2. Your locked into playing and your wife, husband, significant other comes up with plans then tough shit you have already made a tee time and you can't lose your money.

3. The ability to pay what a course is actually worth.  Hey we live in a city that over charges for anything they can and that includes golf. 

4.  Playing a course that you may have never played if you did not come on the site.  There are over 150 courses in the area ranging from over priced goat ranches to PGA T=ment courses.  Chicago has all types of courses and this site is a way to find that one you may have never found.

5. In my case this past Sunday, I saved $25.00.  That is a dozen balls, a few beers, or whatever you want it to be.

6. The one thing that golfnow.com allows you to that the others decided that they wouldn't allow is same day bookings.  How many times have you decided at the last second to go play? Two things I look for when finding a course the same day; price and tee time.  Without those two there is no average guy out there golfing.

I highly reccomend golfnow.com and I will continue to use it the future. 

If you know of anyother sites let me know I will check them out.  I have seen most of them and will talk about them later however, my experiences with golfnow.com have always been above par.

Thanks again and help me with those errors.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the kind words Trent, I'm no wordsmith but I can correct a few GolfNow.com facts.
    Your downfalls...
    1. Most tee times are not pre-paid but 100% due at the golf course on the day of play. Booking process will explain this. Only the Email HOT DEAL tee times are 100% due at the time of booking.(Hint: The HOT DEAL times are 99% of the time a lower price than pay at the course times)
    2. We always give golfers the benefit of the doubt when cancelling a reservation and will refund money on a case by case basis. If you become a golfer who cancels within 24 hours consistently then you may be charged.
    3. Everything is up to the courses, we've talked with many courses about posting tee times on GolfNow.com, but if they don't want to be a part of the site there isn't much we can do but move on to the next course.
    4. Course availability is constantly changing and varying levels of course technology effects if tee times are available or not.
    5. Although your tee time is confirmed at the rate and time you booked, changes or cancellations are allowed outside of 24 or 48 hours by contacting customer service at 800.767.3574.
    Your positives...
    1. Word
    2. Haha, but remember if she drops that baby shower outing on you outside 24 hours then you can cancel but don't make a habit of it.
    3. We dynamically price tee times so price is based on many factors. I'm not just picking numbers of out a hat (most times).
    4. Big selling point for courses to be a part of the site. A new customer can lead to an outing, a membership, a wedding, etc.
    5. I'll take a few beers
    6. Same day booking is a big part of things as well as allowing singles to fill in with online reservations. Not all courses agree but more are coming on board because plans change and why not keep every door open.

    Thanks again for the kind words and letting me cover some of your comments here. Please let me know if you ever need anything.

    Dan Bury

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan,

    If I owned a golf course I would join tomorrow. In my opinion it only increases play on the course and you are right it leads to an outing, a few beers, memberships, etc.....

    Wish you guys did outing arrangements with the courses and negotiated deals. You seem to have more leverage.

    Thanks for the words.

    ReplyDelete